This article is specific to Circle customers residing in the US 🇺🇸 .
Note: While this article is specific to the currency held in an account, all customers, no matter their currency preference, can send money as US Dollars, British Pounds, and Euro.
If US dollars is your selected currency
- Your balance is held in US dollars and will never fluctuate
- US dollar deposits are protected by FDIC insurance
- Any payment you receive, in any Circle supported currency, will be automatically converted to US dollars
If Bitcoin is your selected currency
- If another Circle customer sends you another currency, Circle will auto-convert the payment to bitcoin when depositing this into your account
- The price of bitcoin fluctuates, so the dollar value of bitcoin in your account balance will be subject to that volatility
- All bitcoin stored with Circle is protected from theft by Circle's Insurance
Note: We no longer offer the ability to buy and sell Bitcoin. Customers who hold Bitcoin can continue to receive and send Bitcoin, but once they convert their balance to another currency, they will not be able to convert it back to Bitcoin. For more information, check out our help article about the changes, found here.